Sunday, December 24, 2006

A setback...and thats an understatement!

I have torn my medial ligament and subluxed my kneecap, i did it yesterday afternoon bieng what can only be described as a cocky bellend.
during the summer months i was getting continual problems with my knees, i thought it was the early stages of jumpers knee and got physio advice from my mum. she gave me exercises to do, which i did, and the pain went away. whenever i felt it return i repeated the exercises until it left.

About 2 weeks ago i started to do bodyweight squats, as i wanted to develop my legs more. i had pretty solid bodyweight squats and could do about 4 pistol squats on each leg. it was goign well until wednesday, where i suddenly felt a tingling in my left knee after doing a 60kg weighted squat. i warmed down, the pain went, no problem.
yesterday i was walking to the gym, ina good mood becuase id been invited out to a party that night, i did a somersault of a grassy bank, without a warm up!

Jump

Flip

Land

POP

there went my knee cap. i tore my medial ligament on impact and subluxed my left knee cap. i got up to walk and it half popped back in. i limped to the bus and went home. my mum wasnt in, but i was determined to enjoy my night, i have a high pain threshold and i thought it would be ok if i shoved some ice on it and then sat down at the party a lot.
Well the party wasnt that good and we ended up walking to the pub...big mistake, i woke up next morning to a hell of a lot of fluid, and to make matters worse had to go to work. therfore my leg wasnt looked at until about 27 hours after i injured it!!! considering i couldnt put my heel down at all, thats gotta be f*cking stupid, and the forst 48 hours of an injury are critical.

So i came home tonight with my left knee about 2 times the size of my right...now im all bandaged up, had ultrasound and electrode therapy, and under orders by my mum/physio not to do active sport for at least 2 months, if i want to ski in february, which i do, skiing bieng my favorite sport,


so, much rehabilitation i need to perfrom exercises to stop my thigh muscle wasting, and may need a scan to see how my cartilage is holding up. i've lost progress in martial arts and trampolining, no flips for a long long time, maybe a year, extremely pissed off with myself for not taking what was an easy somersault seriously, and not warming up and down, and not listening to my body when i got the warning signs.

Listen to your bodies guys, becuase this sucks an unbelivable amount. when the bandage gets changed i'll get a picture up.





(on the plus side, lots of pushups, pullups, handstands and situps to do

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home