Sunday, December 24, 2006

The five stages of injuries

I got this of tricks tutorials.com and now i compare it to my own feelings on my injury...which is rapidly turning mroe serious than i thought, i thought i'd stick it up here..makes interesting reading, just replace the word "trickster" with "athlete" when you read;


The 5 stages of adjustment:

*

Stage 1 : Denial

Nothing, nothing is wrong with me. It's not that bad. - The first stage does not last long. Either the trickster was right in their assumption and heals up overnight, forgetting all about the injury; Or, they progress to stage two.
*

Stage 2 : Anger

When reality hits as a result of the inability to trick without experiencing intense pain they enter stage two. Why me? DAMN IT! FUCKING SHIT! ARGHHHH This often leads to panic, making the pain worse. This stage is the most dangerous. It is here that a trickster, through frustration and panic, might try to force through the pain. Each time they force an attempt at it they'll be making it more severe.
*

Stage 3 : Bargaining

Following anger, a sense of false hope arises within the trickster. They bargain with promises that might resemble "When I recover, I'll never ________" in hopes that the pain will subside. This pleading does prove futile and we progress to stage four.
*

Stage 4 : Depression

Upon entering of stage four the trickster realizes nothing can be done and they withdraw or focus on self-pity. In a position of unhappiness, the trickster might try to break the melancholy by alternating back and forth among the first four stages. Before true healing occurs the trickster has to rise to stage five - acceptance.
*

Stage 5 : Acceptance

The last stage of adjustment regarding injuries, healing! This is the final stage when the athlete accepts the reality of their loss and starts recovering. I'm injured, but I've got to get on with my life. Besides, I could use the rest. It is here that the trickster will act more responsibly with their pain and true healing occurs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home